Thursday, January 2, 2014

Progress, Not Perfection

My mantra the last few months has been "progress not perfection".  I don't remember how I came up with it; I'm fairly certain that I just came up with it on the fly while responding to something on Facebook, but the number of other folks using the same words makes me think that I might have heard it somewhere first.

I've always been a perfectionist, even as a kid.  Less than perfection just didn't seem acceptable to me.  Over the years, I've even found myself avoiding trying things because I don't know if I'll do them "right".  If I couldn't do it perfectly, then I should just not do it at all, right?

Well, I think that's wrong.  How can we ever grow and change and improve if it has to be in big perfect leaps instead of small baby steps?  All of life doesn't need to be perfect, and you don't either.  Take an imperfect action towards making your life better is still better than doing nothing at all because you were afraid to fail.

With regards to running, my father in law always says that it doesn't matter how fast you are or how far you can go, it's still better than sitting on the couch.

How have you been "sitting on the couch" recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment