Monday, December 30, 2013

New (Birth) Year, New You

My birthday was last week.  I've never minded my birthday; I've never minded getting older, I've never even minded the fact that it's in the middle of all of the Christmas and New Year's hustle and bustle.  In recent years, I've taken a low key approach to my birthday, and we usually don't really do anything special to celebrate except maybe go to dinner if we don't have a Christmas party and aren't driving back home after the holiday.

However, this year I've been seeing my birthday a little differently.  It might be the fact that New Year's is so close, but I'm seeing this as a chance to improve things in the next year.  I want to be a better version of myself before I turn 30 next year.

So I ran.

I'm not a runner, but I've run a couple times recently and am trying to do so more often (more on this another time).  The morning of my birthday was warm for December, and I thought that a run would be a good way to usher in a new year.

Things didn't go exactly as planned.  I had originally intended to join my husband and some of his family for an informal 5k that they do on Saturdays, but the baby kept me up way too late and I just wasn't able to get up that early.  However, I decided to keep my promise to myself for a good start to the year and so I went for a 30 minute walk/run around the neighborhood.  And it was still good.

Even though no one else cared that I went, it felt good that I kept my promise to myself.  I honored myself enough to make a positive step even when things didn't go perfectly.

I want this to be a year of trying to make progress, not perfection.  Here's to being 29!

No comments:

Post a Comment